tiistai 18. tammikuuta 2011

Learning the Art of Mixing

Today was yet again time to rehearse my mixing skills. I have been Djing years in various occasions but haven´t ever really tried to enhance my ability to play smooth shifts from track to another mainly because it takes some time and patient to really advance in this field.

Anyway now that I have found the time I´m struggling to get better results. There are some things that make the progress slow. First I have always thought that I have some knowledge about which songs would fit together but at the same time I think that playing should be improvising and not to program your setup in advance. I have noticed now that when my skills to find correct beats is not that good (and especially fast enough) I really should not improvise. Today I tried to make a soft oldskool progressive house mix with lush and interesting beats but in the middle the set turned into a "kiksu" mayhem with no logic and actually wrong versions of somewhat good tracks.

It´s just that when I get the feeling to play tracks I don´t seem to have the patience to do my homework and plan the set ready to play. Todays set was also way too fast because I somehow didn´t notice that the first track was quite upbeat.

I´ve got quite a lot of breakbeat tracks too that I should try to include in these mixes. It´s just yet another thing that would need more training.

The good thing is that my setup seems to work now pretty well. I also have some ideas about dubstep, electro and techno and acid mixes that I should try soon. And it seems that I´m missing some tracks that I have always wanted to own and include in some mixes so I should probably check some of these from discogs...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti