maanantai 31. tammikuuta 2011

Practice, practice, practice

Last couple of weeks I have been very busy practicing my turntable skills (as I have mentioned earlier). This is due to my new equipment which seems to work quite well. Yesterday I dug some old hard techno records from the vaults and gave them a spin. Boy was that fun!!!

It´s funny how I now notice the big difference playing different styles of music. When spinning house or trance you have to try to find suitable moments to enter and use the intros and outros to create a constant flow. You also have take care of the harmonies, check out the places where there is breaks and remember if any vocals have been used. It´s very usefull if you are aware about the composition of the full track and know for example where the bass drops for the first time. I have now got used to make the transitions using individual channel sliders and using the EQ knobs only to drop certain levels down. This seems work particularly well at the moment.

Overall you have to try to make wholescale compositions with the tracks and it´s usefull to plan the setup in advance. The whole thing turns upside down when the style changes to techno. Now this is real improvisation, all I have to know is that the tracks are basically in the same tempo range. The rest is just picking basslines and percussions from one track and embedding them to the next! And now the EQ turns into a playstation! I can keep two tracks playing at the same time and let the drums fuse into a different sounding mutant of driving monster dancetune! Yesterday was the first time that I thought it would be nice to own third turntable to make transitions easier and still keeping the playfullness alive! I believe that I would be able to learn to use this kind of setup to create nice oldskool techno experience.

Offcourse I´m aware that this is nothing new to anyone deep in the game, but I wanted to share the revelation I got from these recent sessions!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti